Recipe by Big Daddy's Cookin
Betty's Salad is a regional, Midwest salad created by Betty Timko and featured as a menu item at her restaurant, Timko's Soup and Such, in Toledo, Ohio. The restaurant was located in a brick building at the Northwest corner of Sylvania and Douglas Roads of the Devaux Village strip mall in West Toledo. After Betty died, the restaurant closed, and her signature salad dressing is still produced and distributed at regional grocery stores.
Top Review by SuzeeQ
My family has been eating Betty's salad for decades, and it is deeeeelicious! It's best if you make the dressing one day ahead so the flavors "settle in". We're originally from Toledo, and my mom got the recipe from Betty herself. :o)
- 1 (12 ounce) package spinach
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 1 (6 ounce) can bean sprouts, drained
- 1 (6 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and sliced (a second can is optional, depending on the recipe you follow )
- 1 lb fried bacon, crumbled
- 1 cup salad oil
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt or 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup catsup
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 small-to-medium onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Layer salad ingredients in order listed below.
- Half (1/2) Package Spinach
- Six (6) Hard Boiled Eggs, sliced
- One (1) Can Bean Sprouts, drained
- 1-2 Cans Water Chestnuts, drained and sliced (optional, depending on the recipe you follow
- Add crumbled bacon.
- Mix dressing in blender and pour over salad.
- Keep all ingredients refrigerated.