Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Delicious on a cold winter day.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, coarsly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups water
- plain yogurt
- Heat oil, add onion and cook 20 minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin, corriander, and cayenne. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in pumpkin, broth, potato, sugar, salt, pepper, and water. Heat to medium. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until potato is fork tender.
- Mash until smooth. Serve with dollop of plain yogurt on top, if desired.
I liked this soup, but felt the spices overpowered the pumpkin and potatoes. Next time I think I'll add some cream and top it with croutons.
Great soup! Nice mix of flavors. Even with the amount of spices, it isn't too spicy; it's actually rather mild. I garnished with a dallop if reduced-fat sour cream. Thanx for sharing this. I'll make it again.