Prep 2 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Our Thanksgiving morning would not be complete without my mom's orange rolls. They are a very light and fluffy roll with so much orange flavor!
- 1 (16 ounce) box hot roll mix
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange peel, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange peel, freshly grated
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1. Follow the directions on the box of the Hot Roll mix, but in addition add 1/4 c sugar, vanilla and 1 teaspoons grated orange peel. You will need to add additional flour as you knead the rolls.
- Let the dough raise in a bowl for 1 hour.
- Roll out the dough onto a floured surface to about 1/2 thick. Making a rectangle, adding enough flour to ensure it will not stick.
- Spread the 1/4 c butter over the dough.
- Mix together the sugar and orange peel and spread over the butter, going to the ends.
- Roll up in jelly roll style.
- Cut into 3/4" to 1" circles and place cut side down into a greased muffin pan.
- Let rise until double - approximately 1 hour.
- Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes.
- Mix together the powdered sugar, orange juice and melted butter and pour over the warm rolls.
- Let cool for 15 minutes and remove from pans.
Awesome rolls. Instead of a box of hot roll mix I used Blender Yeast Rolls for the bread and omitted the 1/4 cup of sugar, the vanilla is a nice touch. Mine baked in 18 minutes. The powdered sugar and orange juice icing is amazing combo. Next time I will add oj by the tbsp to get the right consistency. I thought the 1/4 cup made the icing a bit runny. But OOOOh so good. Made for Spring PAC 2010.