Recipe by AngelicFantasia
I don't know who Betty is, but this is the best fried chicken recipe I have ever used. I've been using this recipe since 1990 when I found it in The Dallas Morning News food section.
Top Review by GinnyP
My family was so pleasantly surprised that I made fried chicken! It came out wonderfully and I even used all gluten-free ingredients, due to dietary restrictions. What made me brave enough to finally try to make homemade fried chicken is that this recipe looked really easy compared to others I've read. It *was* easy. Although my chicken pieces turned out perfectly, I think I need to learn a good method for identifying when the chicken is cooked without cutting into it. And due to diet restrictions, this is the first fried chicken we've had in three years. Thank you! : )
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (3 lb) fryer, cut up
- vegetable oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 6 ingredients in plastic bag.
- Shake it to mix and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine egg and milk; mix well.
- Skin chicken, if desired.
- Put 2 or 3 pieces of chicken in bag with flour.
- Shake well.
- Dip chicken in egg mixture, return to bag and shake again.
- Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Heat 1 inch of oil in a large skillet.
- Add chicken and fry 15 minutes or until golden brown, turning to brown both sides.
- Drain chicken on paper towels.