Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
If you like straight up macaroni and cheese with no creamy sauce, this is it!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 12 ounces American cheese or 12 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 lb elbow macaroni, boiled in salted water until just tender and drained
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 2⁄3 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs (more or less to suit taste)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon of butter.
- In a large bowl, toss together the warm, cooked macaroni and 1 tablespoon butter; add cheeses, cayenne (if using) and salt to taste. Place into baking dish and evenly pour milk over surface.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and mix with bread crumbs. Scatter over top and bake, uncovered, 45 minutes. Raise heat to 400 degrees and bake 10 to 15 minutes more, until crusty on top and bottom.