A combination of other recipes created for my MIL, Betty, for Christmas 2012. You may substitute ground chicken or turkey for the chopped chicken, any of which can be seasoned with your choice of italian seasonings prior to cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces uncooked pasta (rigatoni, penne, etc)
- 1 lb chicken, cooked & cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach (thawed & drained)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 4 ounces low-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 12 ounces mozzarella cheese or 12 ounces Italian cheese blend, shredded
- 1Cook pasta according to package directions, remembering to leave it slightly undercooked. Rinse and set aside, reserving the pot for mixing in later.
- 2In a large skillet, cook onions in the olive oil until soft and translucent. Add garlic, chicken, and spinach. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring well to distribute the spinach nicely. Remove from heat.
- 3Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add flour and seasonings. Cook 2-3 minutes whisking constantly. Add milk slowly, whisking together to make a sauce. (It may take a few minutes to thicken.)
- 4Add cubed cream cheese to sauce, stirring to melt.
- 5Combine pasta, sauce, and meat mixture in the pasta pot. Stir well to mix.
- 6Pour into 9x13" casserole, top with shredded cheese. ***At this point you may cover tightly with foil and refridgerate until ready to bake.
- 7To bake: preheat oven to 375. Uncover casserole and bake for 30-40 minutes until heated through and cheese is bubbly.
Browse Our Top Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Betty's Chicken & Spinach Pasta Bake
Serving Size: 1 (313 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 767.2
- Calories from Fat 367
- Total Fat 40.8 g
- Saturated Fat 19.1 g
- Cholesterol 142.2 mg
- Sodium 637.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 42.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: