Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
These are the delicious cookie squares that Betty M brought to my semi-annual rughooking pot luck. There were many requests for the recipe. She indicated changes if you would like to make larger batch for 9x13-inch pan.
- 1⁄2 cup butter (3/4 for 9x13)
- 1 cup flour (1 1/2 for 9x13)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (3 for 9x13)
- 2 eggs, beaten (3 for 9x13)
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar (2 1/4 for 9x13)
- 1⁄2 cup old-fashioned oatmeal (3/4 for 9x13)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (plus a little more for 9x13)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder (3/4 for 9x13)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (1 1/2 for 9x13)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (3/4 for 9x13)
- For base: Cut butter into flour and brown sugar until crumbly. Press into 9x9-inch buttered pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
- Mix filling ingredients well. Pour over partially baked crumb layer. Return to oven and cook 20 minutes more.
- Cool before cutting into squares to serve.