Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are so simple to make, yet so tasty! They are perfect with jam, honey or just plain. These also make the perfect bed for strawberry shortcake or with any other berries for that matter.
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Sift dry ingredients into mixing bowl.
- Measure shortening and cut into flour mixture with pastry blender, two knives or blending fork, until mixture looks like "meal."
- Stir in almost all the milk.
- If dough does not seem pliable, add the remaining milk using just enough to make a soft, puffy dough easy to roll out.
- Knead quickly on a lightly floured board (too much handling makes tough biscuits).
- Roll out 1/4-inch thick for thin crusty biscuits and 1/2-inch thick for thick biscuits.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet; close together for biscuits with soft sides, an inch apart for biscuits with crusty sides.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes.
Directions are incomplete. Should include instructions tostir dry ingredients, cut in shortening and then add milk. I had to add another tablespoon of milk to get my dough to hold together. They also didn't rise up much when baked. Made nine 3-inch bisuits that ended up 3/4" high.
Good recipe,the biscuits were very tender and raised nice.Definately will make these again.
These turned out very tender. Easy to make.