Recipe by Carol's Mistletoe Kitchen
This is a wonderful salad I got from my mother-in-law, Betty. I later found that she got it from another daughter-in-law. I still call it "Betty's"!!
Top Review by Ycooks2
Really enjoyed this salad. Took to my DD for supper and all of the family raved. The dressing has an orange flavor to it so make sure not to leave out the orange zest. It really makes the dressing.
- 2 heads leaves lettuce
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can mandarin oranges
- 15 strawberries, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (rind)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poppy seed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Almonds (candy coated) prepare as follows
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and dry lettuce and tear into small pieces.
- Mix dressing and chill.
- For almonds: Beat egg white until foamy. Add sugar 1 Tbls at at time while beating egg white. Beat until stiff. Add almonds and mix well. Spread on buttered cookie sheet. Bake 325 until golden, turning with large spatula every 6 minutes. it may take 20-25 minutes. Don't give up. They will be crunchy when cool.
- Add the dressing and almonds right before serving.