Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
These sweet cupcakes are fabulously moist and yummy, with dried cherries stepping in for the more conventional raisin, and orange-flavored cream cheese icing to top them off.
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 177.44 ml canola oil or 177.44 ml vegetable oil
- 177.44 ml applesauce
- 4 large eggs
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 9.85 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 4.92 ml ground nutmeg
- 709.77 ml carrots, peeled and grated
- 118.29 ml walnuts, chopped
- 473.18 ml powdered sugar
- 226.79 g cream cheese, softened
- 14.79 ml orange zest (1 orange)
- 9.85 ml vanilla
- For Cupcakes:.
- Preheat oven to 350. Set paper cupcake liners in 2 muffin pans to make room for 24 cupcakes (my muffin pans have 12 spots each). In an electric stand mixer, combine sugar, oil, and applesauce. Add eggs one at a time. Then add dry ingredients and mix to combine. Add carrots, nuts, and cherries, and mix again. Fill each cupcake liner with about 1/2 cup of batter.
- Place on middle rack of oven and bake until set, about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow cupcakes to cool.
- For Frosting:.
- Combine all ingredients in electric stand mixer and blend for several minutes until all lumps of powdered sugar disappear.
- You can frost the cupcakes by dunking them upside down into the frosting, twisting, and flicking a cute little peak over on top when you pull them out.
- I like to put a dried cherry or a sliver of crystallized ginger on top.