Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
From bettycrocker.com, this is the one I have always used. I usually sprinkle with breadcrumbs, and use more than one kind of cheese.
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked (7 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (8 ounces)
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- Cook macaroni as directed on package.
- While macaroni is cooking, melt butter in 3-quart saucepan over low heat. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constanly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in cheese. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted.
- Drain macaroni. Gently stir macaroni into cheese sauce. Pour into ungreased 2-quart casserole. Bake uncovered 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly.
This is the one I always use too! Thank you for posting it as I can't find where I stashed my cookbook.