Recipe by Nature's Cuisine
From Betty Crocker Cook Book (40th Anniversary Edition). I've made this SEVERAL times and it is always delicious. consistency.
- 1 lb dried split peas (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 8 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (or more)
- 1 ham bone (or 2 lbs. ham shanks, or smoked pork hocks)
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- sea salt, course
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse and sort peas. Heat peas and water to boiling in Dutch oven. Boil uncovered 2 minutes. Simmer on low 1 hour.
- Stir onion, celery and pepper. Add ham shanks. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 2 hours or until peas are a little mushy.
- Remove ham bone; remove ham from bone. Trim excess fat from ham; cut ham into 1/2 inch pieces. (If you would like to skim the fat, do so now).
- Stir ham and carrots into soup. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until carrots are tender and soup is of desired consistency, about 30 minutes. Add salt and extra pepper (if needed) to taste.