Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Betty Crocker's website. A good salad for us when we have fresh fennel in our organic vegetable box. Cooking time does not include 1 hour marinading time.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil or 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb swordfish or 1 lb tuna steak, 3/4 to 1 inch thick
- 12 shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 medium fennel bulb, cut crosswise into 6 slices
- 10 leaves romaine lettuce, coarsely torn
- 2 cups arugula, torn into bite-sized pieces (rocket)
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained
- 1⁄2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 12 kalamata olives or 12 pitted black olives
- For shallot-thyme vinaigrette: mix oil, vinegars, shallots, mustard, thyme and salt and set aside.
- Place fish steaks, shrimp and 1/4 cup of the vinaigrette in shallow glass or plastic dish. Turn fish and shrimp to coat. Cover and chill 1 hour. Reserve remaining vinaigrette.
- Heat coals or gas grill for direct heat.
- Remove fish and shrimp from marinade: reserve marinade. Cover and grill fish and fennel 5 to 6 inches from medium heat 5 minutes: brush with marinade. Add shrimp. Cover and grill 5 to 15 minutes, turning and brushing fish, fennel and shrimp with marinade 2 or 3 times, until shrimp are pink and firm and fish flakes easily with fork, and fennel is tender. Discard any remaining marinade.
- Arrange romaine and arugula on serving platter. Cut fish into bit-sized pieces. Arrange romaine and arugula on romaine mixture. Serve with remaining vinaigrette.