Betty Crocker's Classic Chicken Broth
- Place in a kettle the chicken and cold water; cover and bring is slowly to boil.
- Remove scum and add the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and simmer gently for 3 hours, removing the scum occasionally.
- Strain, chill, remove fat, and strain again.
- Store in covered jars in refrigerator; the layer of fat on top will help preserve the stock, but it must be skimmed off before heating stock for use in soups and sauces.
- Optional, to clarify stock: for each quart, beat together 1 egg white and 1 Tbsp cold water; add with pieces of broken egg shell, stirring until stock boils; boil for 2 minutes then let stand off heat for 20 minutes; strain through double cheesecloth.