1/7 Photos of Betty Crocker's Classic Bread Turkey Stuffing
This is the stuffing that my mom makes very Thanksgiving, and it's absolutely divine. The holiday just isn't the same without the taste of this dish. The day after it's cooked, it's wonderful cold, too! This recipe makes enough for a 12-pound turkey, about three quarts of stuffing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large, heavy skillet over medium heat melt the butter, then sauté the onion and celery (and mushroom, if using) until the onion is soft, stirring occasionally.
- 2Stir in the salt, pepper, and sage and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- 3Place the bread cubes into a large, deep bowl.
- 4Pour 1/4 cup of the butter/celery mixture over the cubes and toss well, then repeat steps until all of the butter mixture is used.
- 5Toss the cubes thoroughly to coat.
- 6(Regarding the optional chicken broth: for dry stuffing, add little or no liquid; for moist stuffing mix in lightly with fork just enough chicken broth to moisten dry crumbs.) Let cool and use as stuffing for the turkey.
- 7We've made this stuffing in the crockpot, as well, adding the chicken broth for moistness.
- 8Adapted from Betty Crocker's Picture Cook Book, circa 1950.
- 9Note: regardling the amount of salt - yes, the amount listed above is correct and is what is listed in the original Betty Crocker recipe. When the butter mixture is first added to the bread, if you taste it at this point it might seem salty (because it is sitting right on the surface of the bread) but remember that the liquid and butter soaks into the bread and redistributes evenly. Also, this recipe, being from the 1950s, is specifically for cooking *inside* the turkey, which a lot of people no longer do, and again the salt will redistribute from the juices in the meat. If you use a crockpot for cooking your stuffing, I'd recommend reducing the amount of salt.
- 10Note #2: again, regarding the salt. You're going to have to decide for yourself about the salt. Having eaten this recipe for every year of my life I know it tastes wonderful as it's written. But that's just me.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Betty Crocker's Classic Bread Turkey Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (1125 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1049.5
- Calories from Fat 607
- Total Fat 67.5 g
- Saturated Fat 40.2 g
- Cholesterol 162.6 mg
- Sodium 2520.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 97.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 15.3 g