Prep 35 mins
Cook 7 mins
These cutout cookies are crisp, buttery, and so-o good. They are my choice for delicate, flavorful Easter cookies, and I cannot believe they aren't already posted here. I use cookie cutters in traditional Easter shapes. A round cutter with scalloped edges makes beautiful cookies as well. Or use the comfort-grip cutters in an egg shape. Folks who think they are too old to decorate hard-cooked eggs will love decorating these cookies! Chillling time is not included in the timing of these cookies.
- 1 cup softened butter (2 sticks)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 teaspoons flavoring, extract of choice (lemon, vanilla, etc.)
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- Mix the butter, sugar, and egg together thoroughly. Stir in the flavoring extract you have chosen.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together and stir inches Chill dough.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Rool dough very thin (1/8-inch) on a floured surface. Use cookie cutters to cut into desired shapes. Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven for 5 to 7 minutes. Remove cookies when they are golden not browned. Place sheets of cookies on cooling racks to cool.
- After ten minutes remove cookies from baking sheets and finish cooling on racks.
- Baked, cooled cookies may be frosed with pastel frosting or the frosting may be piped around the edges.