Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 2 lbs sirloin steaks
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 (6 ounce) canof sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 cans condensed beef broth
- 1⁄3 cup instant minced onion
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 cups sour cream
- 8 ounces medium noodles
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- Cut meat across the grain into ¾-inch slices, then into strips 3 x ¼ inch.
- Melt ¼ cup butter in a large skillet.
- Cook and stir mushrooms in butter about 5 minutes; remove mushrooms.
- In same skillet, brown meat.
- Reserving 2/3 cup of broth, stir in remaining broth, the onion, ketchup and garlic powder.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Blend reserved broth and the flour; stir into meat.
- Add mushrooms; heat to boiling, stirring constantly; boil and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in sour cream and heat through.
- Cook noodles as directed on package; drain.
- Toss with 3 tablespoons butter and serve with stroganoff.
I consider myself a Beef Stroganoff conisseur, I've looked the world over and have founs if you Use fresh garlic instead of powdered and an extra shake of worcheshire you've got the BEST hands down beef stroganoff EVER!!
From Betty Crocker's Recipe Box (c.1971) - Men's Favorites. I have been using this recipe for many, many years. It has become the traditional celebratory meal for Father's Day and my Dad's birthday. When my oldest son joins us, I have to double the recipe! I don't think the family would allow me to serve any thing else for these two occasions!<br/><br/>I follow the recipe exactly and it is delicious. I have found in the past few years that I have had to use one can of beef broth and one can of beef consommé in order to achieve a thicker sauce. [Not sure if the formula of the beef broth I was using has changed or what.]
One of the first recipes I ever made!! Excellent and easy....still a family favorite all these years later. We sometimes put it over Beef Rice a Roni for a different twist!