Recipe by Celeste!
Rich buttermilk, crunchy nuts and flavorful, ripe bananas make this banana bread tops.
Top Review by Busy Lindsay
Delicious banana bread. The one I made in the 8in pan came out perfect. It was moist on the inside and a little crunchy on the outside. The 9in pan I left in longer as the instructions state (I have a Betty Crocker cookbook and it says to do the same thing), but that one came out a little overdone and burnt on the bottom, so I think I'll tun the heat off and place it on a higher rack for the last 15 minutes.
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed very ripe bananas (3 to 4 medium)
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped nuts, if desired
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Move oven rack to low position so that tops of pans will be in center of oven. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease bottoms only of 2 loaf pans, 8 1/2x4 1/2x2 1/2 inches, or 1 loaf pan, 9x5x3 inches.
- Mix sugar and butter in large bowl.
- Stir in eggs until well blended.
- Add bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Beat until smooth.
- Stir in flour, baking soda and salt just until moistened.
- Stir in nuts.
- Pour into pans.
- Bake 8-inch loaves about 1 hour, 9-inch loaf about 1 1/4 hours, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Loosen sides of loaves from pans; remove from pans and place top side up on wire rack.
- Cool completely, about 2 hours, before slicing.
- Wrap tightly and store at room temperature up to 4 days, or refrigerate up to 10 days.