1/1 Photo of Betty Crocker How to Cook Beets
1 hr 10 mins
carrie sheridan's Note:
a good place to start
My Private Note
- 1[If you can, buy beets with the stems and greens still attached, as they come out of the ground.
- 2Ask the produce manager at your grocery or health food store to buy organic beets with the nourishing leaves attached!]].
- 3Cut off all but 2 inches of the green stems.
- 4Save the leaves because they are very nutritious and can be steamed, sauteed or shredded in salads!
- 5Leave the beets whole with 2 inches of stems at the top and root ends at the bottom. This prevents the red color from seeping out into the water [and all over the place too!].
- 6Place in a saucepan covered with salted water to taste (with at least 1 tsp of vinegar).
- 7Boil until tender [usually, 30-45 minutes, depending on the size of the beets]. Boiling can take up to 60 minutes for larger beets.
- 8Drain and run cold water over beets. The skins will slip right off with the root ends, but make sure you wear kitchen gloves so your hands don't turn red.
- 9To serve, you can add melted butter, salt and pepper, basil, savory, caraway seeds or sprinkle with minced chives or parsley.
- 10NOTE: i prefer to steam my vegetables in an OSTER mechanical food steamer available cheap with free shipping from amazon.com - so i peel and slice mine for faster cooking as i do for all potatoes.
- 11But you can steam this in a covered pot with a steamer insert also - just make sure the water doesn't evaporate: bring the salted water with more vinegar added to a boil and add the steamer insert and beets. Cover and steam on medium or medium low heat until they are your desired tenderness.
- 12One thing is for sure - never peel or cut the stems or roots if steaming or boiling whole - it's SO much easier not to have red dye and red water dripping everywhere - and the skins come right off easily once cooked. Peeling is a waste of time and makes a mess!
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Betty Crocker How to Cook Beets
Serving Size: 1 (51 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 33.0
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 57.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 1.2 g