Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Hot German Potato Salad
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, cut into halves (about 4 medium)
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- Heat 1 inch salted water (1/2 teaspoon salt to 1 cup water) to boiling. Add potatoes. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and cook until tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Fry bacon in 8-inch skillet until crisp; drain. Cook and stir onion in bacon fat until tender. Stir in flour, sugar, salt, celery seed and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in water and vinegar. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute; remove from heat.
- Crumble bacon into hot mixture, then slice in warm potatoes. Cook, stirring gently to coat potato slices, until hot and bubbly.
- MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS:.
- Prick potatoes with fork to allow steam to escape. Arrange potatoes about 1 inch apart in circle on microwavable paper towel in microwave. Microwave on high (100%) until tender, 11 to 13 minutes. Let stand 1 minute.
- Microwave bacon uncovered in square microwavable dish, 8x8x2 inches, until crisp, 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 minutes; drain. Stir onion into bacon fat. Microwave uncovered until onion is tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in flour, sugar, salt, celery seed, pepper, water and vinegar. Microwave uncovered, stirring every 2 minutes, until mixture is thick and bubbly, about 5 minutes.
- Slice potatoes into hot mixture; stir gently. Microwave uncovered until potatoes are hot, about 1 minute. Crumble bacon into potato mixture; stir.