Recipe by Dwynnie
These are the best caramels that I have ever had!!! (They are soft caramels, not the hard, chewy kind!) This recipe is posted here so I don't misplace it!
Top Review by ashandles
I have made these many times and have a few suggestions. First line the chosen pan (I like 9x13) with a buttered foil. Stir and heat the mixture with the first cup of cream for about 1 hour. After adding the second cup of cream, cook until the mixture forms a soft ball in cold water or until a candy thermometer read 230 to 240 deg. After the caramels are cool, lift the foil out of the pan, turn over onto a cutting mat, take off the foil and they are easy to cut! They are fantastic caramels!
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease bottom and sides of square baking dish, 8x8x2 or 9x9x2 inches, with butter.
- Heat all ingredients to boiling in heavy 3-quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Cook about 35 minutes, stirring frequently, to just under (about 3 degrees)soft ball on a candy thermometer.
- For chewier caramels, cook until soft ball.
- Immediately pour/spread in baking dish.
- Cool completely, about 2 hours.
- Cut into 8 X 8 rows (or desired size), using kitchen scissors or sharp knife.
- Wrap individually in waxed paper or plastic wrap.
- Store wrapped candies in airtight container at room temperature.