49 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
I'd have to say that this is a labor of love dish, but I give you my word that this recipe is better than Bush's. Enjoy! Oh, and also this recipe is easily doubled. In fact, I think it turns out better when it is.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 package great northern bean
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes or 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1/4 cup garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 5 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/2 package hickory smoked thick cut bacon, cut into 1 1/2 inch strips
- 5 cups water, plus 5 cups for second bake
- 1In a very large sauce pan cover the beans and bouillon cubes in 3 inches of water.
- 2Bring to a boil, cover, and let sit for 1 1/2 hours.
- 3Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 4Drain and pour beans into a 9'x11' pan.
- 5Add the rest over the ingredients, stir, and bake until all the water has evaporated, about 3 hours.
- 6Remove from oven, cover, and let sit overnight.
- 7Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 8Add the next 5 cups of water, and bake until all the water has evaporated, about 3 hours.
- 9Serving suggestions: Challah bread, steak, hamburgers.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for "Better Then Bush's" Baked Beans
Serving Size: 1 (244 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 462.3
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 26.0 mg
- Sodium 1671.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 53.6 g
- Protein 7.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
great northern beans