Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Inspired from the recipe in Vegan Table. "This recipe has all the flavor of the lunchtime staple but leaves the cholesterol, and mercury behind" I usually cut this recipe in HALF, and as you can see from the list of ingredients, that is quite easy to do! I also like to add dill pickle to mine, which I've listed below. Some chopped scallion might be nce too... ^_^
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 3 cups fresh beans from scratch)
- 1⁄2 cup vegan mayonnaise (I use Vegenaise)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 4 dill pickle spears, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Add the chickpeas to a food processor or blender and pulse to grind them down into small flaky pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients and mix well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste and serve as a salad or sandwich filling.
Great salad with lots of veggies! I quartered the recipe and it made two meals for me. I ate as a salad but would be great in a sandwich or with chips or on crackers. I chopped the carrots, celery, walnuts and bell pepper in the food processor. I didn't have dill pickles, so used bread and butter pickles. Thanks for a yummy lunch! Made for the vegetarian swap-Oct. 2011.