Oliver & Fischer's Mommy's Note:
I was disappointed while looking for veggie burgers the other day and said to my 21/2 year old, "Mommy needs to learn to make her own veggie burgers." Well, the veggie burger gods must have heard me because there was a recipe in the newest Parents Magazine a few days later. I tweaked that recipe and came up with this super easy and super yummy veggie burger. I used chickpeas to make my first batch, but I'm sure you could use other beans and play around with herbs and spices. The burger have a well rounded taste. They DON'T taste like a pile of beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put chickpeas, onion, jicama/water chestnuts, oats, egg, chili powder/cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper in food processor and pulse until roughly chopped. You want the mixture to stick together but not be wet. (If needed, add 1 TBS water at a time until the mixture comes together).
- 2Put mixture in the fridge for about 10 minutes.
- 3Using wet hands, mold the mixture into patties.
- 4Put patties back in the fridge for a few minutes to firm up.
- 5Spray a large non-stick pan with cooking spray or lightly coat in vegetable oil. Cook patties for about 5 minutes on each side.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Better Than Store Bought Veggie Burgers
Serving Size: 1 (134 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 159.1
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 42.3 mg
- Sodium 268.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 6.9 g