Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I was disappointed while looking for veggie burgers the other day and said to my 21/2 year old, "Mommy needs to learn to make her own veggie burgers." Well, the veggie burger gods must have heard me because there was a recipe in the newest Parents Magazine a few days later. I tweaked that recipe and came up with this super easy and super yummy veggie burger. I used chickpeas to make my first batch, but I'm sure you could use other beans and play around with herbs and spices. The burger have a well rounded taste. They DON'T taste like a pile of beans.
- Put chickpeas, onion, jicama/water chestnuts, oats, egg, chili powder/cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper in food processor and pulse until roughly chopped. You want the mixture to stick together but not be wet. (If needed, add 1 TBS water at a time until the mixture comes together).
- Put mixture in the fridge for about 10 minutes.
- Using wet hands, mold the mixture into patties.
- Put patties back in the fridge for a few minutes to firm up.
- Spray a large non-stick pan with cooking spray or lightly coat in vegetable oil. Cook patties for about 5 minutes on each side.