Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I had some left-over ground almonds from making french macaroons but not enough eggs to make an almond cake. By tweaking my faithful quick-and-easy cupcake recipe I created a deliciously moist almond cupcake which I decorated with a simple butter cream icing and scattered almond flour. When presented to my boyfriend (the ultimate foodie), he exclaimed "this is better than sponge!". This recipe makes exactly enough for a 12 cupcake bun tray.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until white and fluffy.
- Add egg and beat well.
- Sift together flours, baking powder and salt.
- Mix milk with vanilla extract and almond essence.
- Mix in the flour and milk alternatively into the egg, starting and ending with the flour.
- Fill 12 paper cupcake cases.
- Bake at 180°C until golden and the cakes are springy.
- Transfer to a wire wrack to cool and ice with plain butter icing (icing sugar, butter and hot water to make a smooth and fluffy icing).