Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
Created spontaneously to handle a carby pasta bake craving but this turned out to be amazingly delicious! A unique, tasty side or main dish that's healthy and low carb, too.
- 1 lb spaghetti squash
- 1 lb asparagus
- 1 pint white mushroom
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 13 1⁄4 ounces traditional spaghetti sauce
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, to preference
- grated reduced-fat parmesan cheese, to preference
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare spaghetti squash by piercing the skin with a fork and boiling for approximately 25-30 minutes.
- Split spaghetti squash lengthwise, spoon out the seeds and use a fork to remove the spaghetti strands from the squash.
- Snap off the ends of the asparagus and cut into 1" pieces.
- Slice mushrooms, red bell pepper, and garlic thinly.
- Saute all vegetables and garlic on medium-high heat in non-stick skillet until cooked and tender.
- Lightly salt and pepper for added flavor.
- Add spaghetti sauce to skillet and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Place spaghetti squash strands in the bottom of a casserole dish and pour the sauce saute evenly over it.
- Crush Italian seasoning lightly in your palm and sprinkle over the casserole.
- Spread shredded part-skim mozzarella and reduced fat grated parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake at 350°F for about 25 minutes.
I really expected to like this more but the squash tasted watery and "thinned" out the spaghetti sauce flavor. I microwaved the squash so perhaps that was the problem.