Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Need I say more?
- 10 1⁄4 ounces German chocolate cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (16 ounce) jar caramel topping (OR butterscotch topping)
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- 1 (8 ounce) bag toffee pieces (or bits)
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Make and bake cake as directed on package in a 9 x 13 pan.
- Poke top of warm cake every 1/2" with handle of wooden spoon.
- Drizzle sweetened condensed milk evenly over cake and let stand until milk has absorbed into cake.
- Drizzle with caramel or butterscotch topping.
- Run knife around sides of pan to loosen cake.
- Cover and refrigerate about 2 hours or until cake has chilled.
- Spread cool whip over top of cake.
- Sprinkle with toffee chips.
- Store cake covered, in the refrigerator.
I love this cake but like another reviewer, I will NOT use Cool Whip because it has an awful after taste and if you ever read the ingredients on the bowl, you will realize it is just a bunch of chemicals and NOT food. Whip up some real whipped cream and add a bit of powdered sugar and 2 TBL of softened cream cheese so that it keeps firm longer. It only takes five minutes to do this. You will be glad you made the substitution. And I too, have made it with chocolate cake mix and the results were great. Mrs. Richardson's Carmel Topping is the best Store bought topping I have ever tried.
This is also a favorite of mine! AIthough I prefer to use Devil's Food Cake mix and Mrs.Richardson's Carmel Butterscotch topping. I think it is sweet enough without the condensed milk, so, I omitted it, and it was fine. Some hints to try are: Use a straw instead of a wooden spoon to poke the holes and the cake mix won't stick. Also, allow the cake to sit overnight in the fridge with the carmel topping before you add the cool whip and it will be even better! Thanks for the recipe! They loved it at work!
Awesome! This is the one I was looking for, the one we made back in the 70s, very rich and decadent. I made a homemade chocolate cake instead of using the mix as I didn't have one. I don't think the cake matters, as long as it's chocolate since the toppings are what make this better than sex!