Recipe by Noni Suzanne
Need I say more?
Top Review by chess1bq
I love this cake but like another reviewer, I will NOT use Cool Whip because it has an awful after taste and if you ever read the ingredients on the bowl, you will realize it is just a bunch of chemicals and NOT food. Whip up some real whipped cream and add a bit of powdered sugar and 2 TBL of softened cream cheese so that it keeps firm longer. It only takes five minutes to do this. You will be glad you made the substitution. And I too, have made it with chocolate cake mix and the results were great. Mrs. Richardson's Carmel Topping is the best Store bought topping I have ever tried.
- 10 1⁄4 ounces German chocolate cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (16 ounce) jar caramel topping (OR butterscotch topping)
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- 1 (8 ounce) bag toffee pieces (or bits)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Make and bake cake as directed on package in a 9 x 13 pan.
- Poke top of warm cake every 1/2" with handle of wooden spoon.
- Drizzle sweetened condensed milk evenly over cake and let stand until milk has absorbed into cake.
- Drizzle with caramel or butterscotch topping.
- Run knife around sides of pan to loosen cake.
- Cover and refrigerate about 2 hours or until cake has chilled.
- Spread cool whip over top of cake.
- Sprinkle with toffee chips.
- Store cake covered, in the refrigerator.