Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a family favorite for potlucks..you could clean up the title and call it "Better than Robert Redford". My recipe for this is a little different than the traditional recipe, because I use 2 flavors of CHOCOLATE pudding, and REAL WHIPPED CREAM. I prefer whipped cream to Cool-Whip because it is natural. And the chocolate...well do I really need to explain?
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 16 ounces whipped cream
- 4 cups milk
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) boxes instant devil's food pudding mix
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) boxes chocolate pudding
- chopped nuts
- chocolate shavings
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat 13x9x2 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium size bowl, mix flour walnuta nd butter. Pat into prepared baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Cool.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Mix in 1/4 of the whipped cream. Spread over cooled crust.
- Prepare puddings according to directions on the box. Spread devil's food pudding over cream cheese layer and top with 1/4 whipped cream. Layer remaining pudding on to of that, and spread reaminig whipped cream on top. Sprinkle with nuts and chocolate shavings. Chill at least 2 hours or overnight.
i've had things like this before and i love them. this recipe was different with the two kinds of pudding but the ingredients were missing another 4 cups of milk. also i found that 1 cup of sugar in the cream cheese was way too sweet. and should there be some type of sweetener in the crust? i used a different crust because i didnt know if the sugar was left out on purpose and i didnt want to make such a bland crust.. but the idea with the two puddings if fun although when making it all with the correct amount of milk specified on the box it makes a lot of pudding and wouldnt all fit into my 13x9 pan. i had to throw some of the pudding out.
My aunt gave me this recipe some time ago and it is absolutely one of my favorite desserts! My grandma gave me some of her cookbooks and I found this recipe under the title 'White House Dessert'. So this is very fancy indeed! ;) Really y'all, you have to try it! Thanks for submitting this.
A nice dessert for my church potluck.We did call it a chocolatey treat so no one would be offended:]It was east to make but took some time to wash mixer in between steps but worth it.You'd be smart to purchase ingredients on sale and keep on hand.