Recipe by Teresa M
This is a blue-ribbon award-winning recipe that my husband cut out of our local newspaper from a recipe contest. I have not made it yet, but I will as soon as I can because DD Loves Pumpkin Pie! Here's what the author, Debbie Grandits, says about it, "Everyone's response was, It's better than pumpkin pie, and this year my phone has been ringing off the wall with requests for the recipe".
Top Review by Katie Y
When I made this at Thanksgiving, my son was very disappointed that there wasn't any pie. He ASKED for it at Christmas, and he wants me to make it for the dessert competition at an upcoming picnic. My husband thought it was terrific, because it combined the flavors of his two favorite holiday pies!
- 1 (29 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 box yellow cake mix (2-layer size)
- 1 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup chopped nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine in mixer the pumpkin, sugars, eggs, vanilla, evaporated milk and spices, mixing well.
- Pour into a 12 x 9 inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle the dry cake mix on top and pat down.
- Melt the butter and drizzle over the top.
- Sprinkle with nuts.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes or until lightly browned and set.
- Let cool.