Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
Inexpensive. Delicious. Good when you're in the mood for some real comfort food. Sometimes I like to add onions or broccoli.
- 1 lb macaroni, cooked about half way
- cheese sauce (see recipe below)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs (fresh, if time allows)
For Cheese Sauce
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk (warmed over low heat until small bubbles begin to form)
- pepper (freshly ground tastes best to me)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I use cheddar)
- Cheese sauce (can be made the night before):.
- Heat butter in a 2qt sauce pan until melted.
- Stir in flour.
- Stir constantly to make a paste.
- continue stirring until mixture begins to bubble (be sure not to let it brown!), about 2-3 minutes Add the hot milk, stirring to make sure butter and flour are incorporating well Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and continue to cook, stirring, 3-4 minutes more, add salt and pepper to taste Add cheese, stir until melted.
- (if making the night before, be sure and cover the pan while sauce cools to prevent a skin from forming) To put it all together:.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter a large baking dish.
- Place partially cooked macaroni in dish.
- Pour cheese sauce over pasta, fold in gently.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over pasta.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until sauce bubbles and the top is a lovely golden brown.
I loved it and so did my husband and kids. It is not easy for me to find recipes that my husband ans son like. Thanks so much!
I really liked it, but my husband and kids did not like the breadcrumbs on top. Just personal preference. It was quick and easy to make. The macaroni cooked (love that you only have to cook for half the time!)while I made the sauce and then it was easy to throw together. A great week night dinner. I will make it again, but just leave out the breadcrumbs the next time!
this was very good and simple to make. I used two cheeses as well-cheddar and mozzarella. My only complaint is that there are no heat indications for making the cheese sauce, and if a novice is trying to make this, they might appreciate that information.