1/5 Photos of Better Than Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana
1 hr 5 mins
Jeremiah Comer's Note:
This is the BEST tasting soup I have ever had. If you want a savory soup that is full of flavor and light on the calories, this is it! You'll never want regular potato soup again!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground mild Italian sausage
- 4 -6 russet potatoes, thinly sliced or peeled and diced
- 1 -1 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons real bacon pieces
- 10 cups water, divided
- 7 teaspoons better than bouillon chicken base
- 1/3 bunch fresh kale, stemmed and torn
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- shredded pecorino romano cheese (optional) or parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1In a large pot on medium-high heat add the ground sausage and crushed red pepper flakes. Using a spatula, break up the sausage until it's cooked through. Pour sausage into a large bowl and set aside.
- 2In the same pot add the olive oil, chopped onion, and bacon pieces until the onions become translucent. Add garlic and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- 3Add 2 cups of water to the pot and stir well. Add the chicken concentrate and stir to combine. Then add the remaining 8 cups of water.
- 4Add potatoes and cook until fork tender. Add a little salt to the broth if necessary to make sure the potatoes will absorb for maximum flavor.
- 5After potatoes are done, add the cooked sausage back into the soup. Skim off most of the fat from the sausage that floats onto the surface.
- 6Add the fresh kale and stir in to allow the leaves to soften slightly.
- 7Add the heavy cream and stir.
- 8Salt and pepper to taste.
- 9Garnish each serving with shredded parmesan or pecorino romano cheese, if desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Better Than Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana
Serving Size: 1 (344 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 279.5
- Calories from Fat 180
- Total Fat 20.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 48.7 mg
- Sodium 486.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 9.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: