This is the BEST tasting soup I have ever had. If you want a savory soup that is full of flavor and light on the calories, this is it! You'll never want regular potato soup again!
- 1 lb ground mild Italian sausage
- 4 -6 russet potatoes, thinly sliced or peeled and diced
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons real bacon pieces
- 10 cups water, divided
- 7 teaspoons better than bouillon chicken base
- 1⁄3 bunch fresh kale, stemmed and torn
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- shredded pecorino romano cheese (optional) or parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a large pot on medium-high heat add the ground sausage and crushed red pepper flakes. Using a spatula, break up the sausage until it's cooked through. Pour sausage into a large bowl and set aside.
- In the same pot add the olive oil, chopped onion, and bacon pieces until the onions become translucent. Add garlic and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water to the pot and stir well. Add the chicken concentrate and stir to combine. Then add the remaining 8 cups of water.
- Add potatoes and cook until fork tender. Add a little salt to the broth if necessary to make sure the potatoes will absorb for maximum flavor.
- After potatoes are done, add the cooked sausage back into the soup. Skim off most of the fat from the sausage that floats onto the surface.
- Add the fresh kale and stir in to allow the leaves to soften slightly.
- Add the heavy cream and stir.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish each serving with shredded parmesan or pecorino romano cheese, if desired.
WOW!!! This stuff was so addicting! The broth was out of this world. The potatoes, sausage, and kale are a wonderful flavor and texture combination! I ended up using the real bacon pieces used for salads, and it was perfect and made it so simple. I've tried other versions of this recipe, but the quality ingredients with this one turned out with the best flavor. This one is definitely a keeper.
Amazing! The flavors came together beautifully. Will make again!
We crave this soup! It IS better than Olive Garden's. We double the recipe and enjoy it for two to three days. We've even eaten it for breakfast. Thanks, Mr. Comer.