Recipe by shambledlibertine
Years of trial and error and wishing restaurants didn't charge me an arm and a leg for a dish led me to this - the most perfect chicken parm that I (and my boyfriend) have ever tasted.
- 1 (2 lb) package boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Italian salad dressing (I use the bottled Olive Garden dressing)
- Italian breadcrumbs
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) jar pasta sauce (I use Ragu Robusto Parmesan and Romano)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix two eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. In another medium bowl, mix 3 parts Italian breadcrumbs to 1 part flour. This helps bind the breading to the chicken more easily and prevents it from falling off in the frying pan. In a small bowl, add 1/4 cup of your salad dressing.
- Trim excess fat from chicken and rinse under cool water. Bathe chicken thoroughly in egg mixture, then lightly coat in dressing. Place chicken in breadcrumbs and press down, covering completely.
- In a large saucepan, add 2/3 cup of vegetable oil and 1/3 cup of olive oil over medium heat. Toss a few drops of water onto oil to make sure it's hot. Add your chicken and cook about 12 minutes (longer for bigger cuts of chicken). Cook chicken in two batches to ensure each piece is evenly cooked.
- Preheat your oven to 400. In a medium bowl, empty your sauce and add 1/4 cup of water. Mix. Spoon a thin layer of sauce mixture into a large casserole dish. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese into dish. Add chicken into dish as it's finished. Cover each piece of chicken generously with sauce and cheese. Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.
- Serve over pasta and add extra sauce, as needed.