1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 40 mins
Posted in response to a request, this is a versatile recipe. You may change the herbs to what your mother used in her meatloaf! Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups dry lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked fine bulgur
- 1 cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon crumbled dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons crumbled dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crumbled dried tarragon
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste or 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1Combine the lentils and bay leaf in a large pot with 6 cups water.
- 2Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer until the lentils are soft and the water has been absorbed, about 45 minutes.
- 3Combine the bulgur and 2 cups water in a medium saucepan.
- 4Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- 5Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- 6Transfer the lentils to a large mixing bowl.
- 7Add the bulgur and remaining ingredients except the tomato paste or sauce.
- 8Mix with your hands until thoroughly combined.
- 9Pat the mixture into a 5x9" loaf pan.
- 10Bake until firm but not dry, about 40 minutes.
- 11During the last 5 minutes of baking, brush the top with tomato paste or sauce.
- 12Let cool 15 minutes.
- 13Cut into slices and serve warm.
Nutritional Facts for Better than Meatloaf!
Serving Size: 1 (480 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 431.6
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 35.2 mg
- Sodium 316.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 27.3 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 24.8 g