Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I wanted a thick cookie to duplicate the ones at Max and Erma's, which my mom adores. I came up with this, which is similar to many such recipes, but the real trick to the flavor and thickness is in the cornstarch and the turbinado sugar. The result is a sinfully decadent and flavorful cookie. My mom said Max and Erma's cookies will now make her sad to eat, because they aren't nearly as good as these. I'm not a fan of white chocolate macadamia, and even I had trouble laying off them. Prep time does not include refrigeration. (I don't recommend skipping the fridge step--cold dough helps with the thicker consistency.)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 3⁄4 cups turbinado sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (heaping)
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 12 ounces white chocolate chunks (chips will do, but chunks are better for texture and taste)
- 1⁄2 cup macadamia nuts (chopped coarsely)
- 1⁄2 cup macadamia nuts (whole)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cream butter, sugar, vanilla, and salt.
- Add eggs, beat until fluffy.
- Gradually add dry ingredients.
- Stir in white chocolate and macadamias.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate dough for at least an hour.
- Roll into balls and place on silpat or greased cookie sheet/foil.
- Bake 8-10 minutes (adjust as necessary based on actual size of your cookies).
- Let cool for a couple minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
I have not had Max and Erma's cookies so cannot compare these to them; I can say that these are very good! I made 1/2 the recipe as written and got 32 small cookies. Not too sweet and the chocolate chunks are better because the didn't melt so you got as big bite of white chocolate in almost every bite. Made for PRMR.
Absolutely wonderful! Made for when my son & DIL were over, & my son & I packed away quite a few, although we left enough for them to take a handful or two back home with them! White chocolate & these nuts make a great combo, & I have them on schedule to make several more times before the end-of-year holidays when . . . Definitely a keeper of a recipe! [Made & reviewed as a THANK YOU for playing with us in Please Review My Recipe during the recent tour]
Stunning flavor! They turned out absolutely perfect and were delicious warm! Thanks for posting this recipe!