Prep 15 mins
Cook 13 mins
adapted from Mrs Weasley’s Rock Cakes at the Floo-Network
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, chilled
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl and rub in the butter lightly with the fingers until the mix looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and currants.
- Beat the egg together lightly with the milk and vanilla. Pour it into the flour mixture and stir until the dough comes together into a ball.
- Shape dough into 2 inch balls, dip the tops in coarse sugar and place on baking sheet. They won’t spread very much, so they can be fairly close together.
- Bake for about 13-16 minutes, until tops of cakes are light gold.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool, or eat them straight away.