Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Initially, I created this recipe to smother some pork chops with, but I imagine it'd be a great gravy for chicken, steak, mashed potatoes, or even pasta.
- 1 yellow onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pint baby portabella mushrooms, quartered
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Heat canola oil in a large pan or skillet.
- Add butter to the canola oil and allow to melt.
- Add onions, mushrooms and garlic to the oiled pan.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sauté until onion is translucent and mushrooms are tender.
- Add balsamic vinegar and scrape up any of the sautéed vegetables sticking to the pan.
- Add the cream of mushroom soup, cream, tarragon, and rosemary.
- Mix well and cover pan.
- Let sauce simmer on low heat for 30 - 45 minutes; stir frequently.
- Serve when sauce has thickened into a gravy consistency.