Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
My version of Rachael Ray's recipe.
- 1 oven-roasted deli chicken
- 14.79 ml chili powder
- 473.18 ml cabbage coleslaw blend
- 1-2 chipotle chile in adobo, finely chopped
- 236.59 ml tomato sauce
- 3 scallions, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 59.14 ml chicken broth
- 8-10 burrito-size flour tortillas
- 946.36 ml cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- Take the meat off the bone of the rotisserie chicken and tear into bite-size pieces.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a stockpot, place the chicken, chili powder, cabbage, chipotles, tomato sauce, scallions, salt and pepper and 2 cups cheese. Add chicken broth and heat slowly until it all melts.
- When ready to assemble, place a small amount of cheese in the center of a tortilla and top with the desired amount of filling. Fold the sides of the tortilla over the filling and close by overlapping the other two sides. Place seam-side down on a greased baking sheet and repeat until you have used all of the filling. Brush the tops of the chimichangas with oil and bake until deep golden brown, about 15-17 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream and salsa.
Great recipe! Easy to fix and everyone really enjoyed them, including the kids! I made them exactly as the recipe stated, but used less than one chipotle, since my son likes it a bit more mild. The third time I used some crumbled, cooked sausage instead of the chicken and it turned out just as good! The coleslaw blend was a nice touch and added some good and interesting texture. These are on my regular line up. Thanks for sharing a great recipe!
What a great dinner! The chimichangas ended up being puffy and crunchy and I would sneak more coleslaw in there next time as you can't even detect it. We enjoyed this with a simple salad and sour cream and picante sauce. I will absolutely make this dish again. Made for my adopted chef for Spring PAC 2013.
Good chimichangas, but did not care for the cabbage in this. I think the coleslw blend would work with a tad less, and a tad more cheese. Please see my rating system. The kids enjoyed these though, will adjust and makeagain. Good recipe. Made for PRMR tag.