This dish is baked in a 9x13 casserole, and the dumplings sort of make themselves. it is easy and delicious. it appeared in a local community paper some time ago.
- 3 -5 chicken breasts
- 1 stalk chopped celery
- 1 sliced carrot
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- water, to cover above (3-4 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup sliced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup green peas (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Combine the first 6 ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook until chicken is done.
- Remove from broth and cool. You will use 2 c of this broth in the preparation!
- Remove from bones if needed.
- Saute the vegetables, except peas in a little butter or oil, until soft.
- Melt the 1/4 cup butter and pour into the 9x13 dish, to grease the bottom.
- Cut or tear the chicken into pieces and place on top of the melted butter.
- Mix flour and milk; pour over chicken.
- Mix soup, 2 cups of the broth, the sauteed vegetables and peas (if using).
- Pour over the top.
- DO NOT STIR!
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30-35 minute or until top is brown.
- To make this realy fast use Rotisserie Chicken and canned Broth!(2 cups).