1/1 Photo of Better Than Bubbe's Matzo Ball Soup
4 hrs 20 mins
3 hrs 25 mins
Alan in SW Florida's Note:
A rich, flavorful chicken soup with light, fluffy matzo dumplings. A traditional Passover favorite.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (5 -7 lb) roasting chickens (fat in cavity reserved, cut into pieces)
- 8 carrots, about 1 pound, divided
- 6 parsnips, about 1 pound, divided
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 head garlic, loose papery outer skin removed, cut in half crosswise
- 1 bunch parsley
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 6 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1In pot over high heat, combine chicken with 5 quarts water or enough to cover. Bring to a boil, skimming foam as needed; reduce heat to medium-low. Meanwhile, cut half the carrots and parsnips into 2" pieces. Halve the remaining carrots and parsnips lengthwise. Cut into 1/2" pieces; set aside. To soup add celery, onion, garlic, and reserved large carrot and parsnip pieces; simmer 1 hour. Add next 4 ingredients; simmer about 30 minutes. Strain, reserving broth and chicken.
- 2Discard skin from chicken. Pull meat from bones; cut or tear into bite-sized pieces. Return broth to same pot over medium heat; add remaining carrots and parsnips. Simmer until vegetables are almost tender, about 10 minutes. Add chicken; heat well, about 5 minutes. Stir in last 4 soup ingredients. Cover; set aside.
- 3Meanwhile, in a skillet over low heat cook reserved chicken fat, stirring occasionally, until melted and solids begin to brown, 30 minutes. Strain fat, discarding solids. Measure melted fat; add enough vegetable oil to equal 1/3 cup, if necessary.
- 4In small pot over medium heat, combine 1/4 cup seltzer with 2 teaspoons bouillon. Cook until dissolved, 1 to 2 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Meanwhile, combine eggs, salt, pepper, remaining seltzer and fat. Stir in cooled seltzer mixture and matzo meal. Cover; refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- 5Fill skillet halfway with water, add remaining bouillon granules. Place over high heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. With lightly moistened hands, shape tablespoonfuls of matzo mixture into balls. Gently add to simmering water mixture.
- 6Cover; simmer until all matzo balls are cooked through, about 20 minutes. using a slotted spoon transfer matzo balls to soup. Let stand 15 minutes to allow matzo balls absorb flavors of soup. Reheat, if necessary, and serve.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Better Than Bubbe's Matzo Ball Soup
Serving Size: 1 (339 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 536.0
- Calories from Fat 288
- Total Fat 32.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 226.8 mg
- Sodium 1068.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 37.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: