1/2 Photos of Better Than Best Baked Beans!
4 hrs 30 mins
I got this recipe from a PACE Salsa summer pocket cookbook many years ago. It is a simple method to dress up canned baked beans. I have adjusted the ingredients/measurements for our personal tastes and I freepour everything, but had to provide measurements. Use the measurements as a guide only. I am always asked for the recipe or to bring them to BBQs and potlucks. They are quick, easy and without the hassle of making beans from scratch. The cumin and salsa gives them the kick and unique taste that have people coming back for more. I also make a big batch to ensure leftovers and put in the freezer. If you go camping, the frozen baked beans in ziploc bags make excellent icepacks! Enjoy! Edited to add: I make this in a 6 qt crockpot and the recipe as posted below fits perfectly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb bacon
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 (28 ounce) cans baked beans, any flavor, I use Bushes
- 1/4 cup ketchup (more or less to taste)
- 2 cups chunky salsa, I use Chi Chi's or Pace (mild, medium or hot to taste, I use hot)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or 2 tablespoons honey or 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin (to taste, I free sprinkle it and add more to taste as it slo cooks)
- 1 tablespoon red chili pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1Fry bacon in frying pan.
- 2I cut into bite sized pieces with scissors before frying.
- 3As bacon fries, chop onions.
- 4When bacon is finished, remove from pan,drain and wrap in paper towels to absorb grease.
- 5Saute onions in bacon fat til translucent.
- 6Pour into strainer, but not necessary to rinse or pat with paper towel.
- 7For me, straining is enough.
- 8Pour canned beans into 6 Qt Crockpot.
- 9Stir in bacon, onions, ketchup, Salsa, Brown Sugar and cumin, mixing very well.
- 10Stir often.
- 11Cook on high for 3 hours, then switch to low for another two hours, well ahead of serving as it tastes even better the longer you allow the flavors to blend together.
- 12If I'm making them for a party, I make them early morning for that night or even the night before, cooking overnight in the crockpot.
- 13They will stay hot for a long time and you can just turn the crockpot back on a couple hours before serving.
- 14I taste them often as they're cooking and add more salsa and/or cumin to taste.
- 15We like to taste the cumin, but if you don't that's ok.
- 16Recipe is easily halved or doubled.
- 17I never measure anything- I add all ingredients for our taste preferences.
- 18Freezes VERY well and you can reheat in microwave or in crockpot once thawed.
- 19Leftovers are great the next day!
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Better Than Best Baked Beans!
Serving Size: 1 (227 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 277.6
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 15.4 mg
- Sodium 930.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 16.1 g
- Protein 10.9 g