1/1 Photo of Better Than Bakery Sticky Buns
2 hrs 40 mins
amigamaria May's Note:
The secret of success with these extra-high, super-sticky buns is creating dough with just the right texture. The buns should turn out soft and fluffy, almost cottony. To avoid over kneading the dough, which causes excess gluten development, knead by hand. This isn't difficult, because as soon as the dough becomes smooth -- just about five minutes after the flour is incorporated -- it's time to stop. A visual clue: the dough should be only slightly springy, not elastic and bouncy like stiff bread dough. It's also important not to let the dough over rise; watch it carefully after the first hour, and punch it down and roll it out as soon as it has doubled in bulk. If you allow it to rise longer, it may fail to relax properly when rolled out.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon dry active yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/3 cups lukewarm milk
- 4 whole eggs, plus
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 lb unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1/2 cup finely ground walnuts (use a food processor)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Brown Sugar Glaze
- 1For the dough, sprinkle yeast and sugar over milk in a large mixing bowl; let stand until yeast bubbles, about 5 minutes.
- 2Whisk eggs and yolks together in a small bowl.
- 3Whisk in vanilla and salt.
- 4Sift flour and cardamom together and set aside.
- 5Stir egg mixture into yeast.
- 6Add butter and mix by hand until butter looks like small curdles.
- 7Mix in enough flour mixture to form a loose dough.
- 8Turn dough onto work surface sprinkled with remaining flour mixture.
- 9Knead, incorporating remaining flour, until dough is smooth and springs back slightly when touched, about 5 minutes.
- 10Place dough in a greased bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, 1 to 2 hours.
- 11For the filling, mix filling ingredients except butter; set aside.
- 12For the glaze, grease sides of 2, 10-inch round cake pans (not spring-form).
- 13Pour half melted butter into each pan; sprinkle each evenly with half brown sugar; set aside.
- 14Punch down dough and turn it onto a lightly floured work surface.
- 15Roll it out into an even 18 x 12-inch rectangle, about 1/4-inch thick.
- 16Brush dough with melted butter (see filling ingredients) and sprinkle with filling, leaving a 1/2-inch border on long sides.
- 17Use a rolling pin to embed filling into dough.
- 18Fold long edge of dough over twice and then proceed to roll dough into a tight log.
- 19Use dental floss to slice log into 12, 1 1/2-inch pieces.
- 20Place buns, cut side down, into prepared pans.
- 21Cover with a damp cloth and let rise by 50%, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- 22Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375°.
- 23Bake until bun tops are golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
- 24For the syrup, bring honey and butter to simmer over low heat in 2-quart saucepan.
- 25Simmer until thickened slightly, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 26Bring 2 burners to low heat.
- 27As buns come out of oven, pour hot syrup over them and place each pan over a warm burner.
- 28Using oven mitts to hold each pan, shake to distribute syrup and caramelize glaze, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 29Use a thin spatula to separate buns from edge of pans and each other.
- 30Immediately invert buns in each pan onto a rimmed baking sheet.
- 31Cool for 10 minutes and serve.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Better Than Bakery Sticky Buns
Serving Size: 1 (2918 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 923.9
- Calories from Fat 392
- Total Fat 43.5 g
- Saturated Fat 24.8 g
- Cholesterol 185.7 mg
- Sodium 442.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 125.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 70.4 g
- Protein 12.1 g