This is my own concoction. I got my mom's regular potato soup recipe and completely changed it to make this wonderful dish. Right now it's the middle of July and about 100 degrees out, and my husband requested this for lunch - I guess it's a soup for all seasons!
- Peel potatoes and cut into large chunks. Put potatoes in soup pot along with onion, celery, and chicken broth. If there is not enough broth to cover the veggies, add a little water.
- Cover, bring to a boil, and let simmer for approximately 20 minutes, until vegetables soften.
- If you like thicker soup, drain off SOME of the liquid. If you like thinner soup, leave it as is and proceed.
- Use a potato masher to mash up the spuds. Mash more or less depending on how creamy or chunky you like your soup.
- Add white pepper, salt, and Liquid Smoke to taste.
- Add sour cream and Velveeta, heat and stir until cheese melts. Dip the soup into 4 bowls. Top each bowl with shredded cheddar cheese, chives, and bacon bits.
- Eat and smile :).
I didn't have any liquid smoke, but it was AMAZING :) I will definitely be making this a lot.
Here's the proof - I do not like potato soup- I thought with all the extras plus the cheese I would like it but to my dismay no.. still do not like potato soup.. However, my BF does and thought it was good but could have been thicker (my fault). He'd eat it again but he'll have to make it himself.
This recipe is definitely a keeper. Was very filling and satisfying. I followed this recipe, but left out the liquid smoke. Thank you EmmyLynn.