Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I found this recipe on All-Recipes on the Internet. It is very good, very different. If you don't like the olives or the vinegar, skip this one. It won't be right without it. My whole family (even the kids) LOVED it!!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1 inch strips
- 2 tablespoons bacon bits
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green olives
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can sliced mushrooms or 8 ounces fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelopedry chicken gravy mix
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (white is okay, too)
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- In slow cooker, combine chicken, bacon bits, olives, tomatoes, mushrooms, gravy mix, wine, mustard, and vinegar.
- Mix together Cover and cook on low heat setting for 6-8 hours.
This has got to be the most delicious slow cooker chicken that I have ever tasted!
A tad too strong on the vinegar side for our taste. I do however have an explanation. I believe that this dish somewhat shines or falls on the quality of balsamic venegar. I had only cheap vinegar. High quality balsamic vinegar is sweet and can be used on ice cream or strawberries. I DID NOT have a high enough quality vinegar. To take out the bite of the vinegar, use some heavy cream or some sour cream to soften the taste (stirred in at the end without cooking). We both liked it much better that way. Jim in So. Calif.
I had my doubts when I was first putting this together. The smell of the combined uncooked ingredients was not promising. But, OH MY GOSH! Once it cooked for a few hours, it smelled great and taste even better! I think I will try reducing the mustard by a tad next time. The flavor was awesome but really strong. Who would guess this unusual combination of ingredients would produce such a great dish. It's perfect when served with rice. Thanks for another great recipe Goddess.