Sandy 0225's Note:
A little tweak on the cooking preparation makes a cheap boxed macaroni and cheese taste better and creamier and also healthier for you since there's more milk and cheese and less margarine/butter. And to top it all off, it's almost as fast as the regular way, it's just more of a technique than an actual recipe change. No more runny cheesy orange watery sauce! I made this up myself when I got sick of spending more money for the "better" macaroni and cheese for the kids, you know the kind with the "gooey" packet of cheese sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cook the macaroni in boiling water until it's as tender as you'd like it.
- 2Drain the macaroni in a colander, set aside.
- 3In the same pan over medium heat, melt the 1/8 cup margarine, then add the cheese powder. Stir until smooth with a wire whisk.
- 4Add the 3/4 cup of milk, a little bit at a time, mixing it with the wire whisk, like you were making gravy, stirring constantly over medium heat. As it thickens up, add some more milk until all the milk is added. Bring the mixture up to the point of boiling so that it's thick. Then add the cheese and whisk again until smooth and melted.
- 5Now remove from heat and add the drained macaroni. You're ready to serve and your macaroni will be creamy instead of that yellow runny stuff around your noodles.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Better Macaroni and Cheese from a Box!
Serving Size: 1 (109 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 285.6
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 16.6 mg
- Sodium 576.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 10.8 g