Recipe by Sandy 0225
A little tweak on the cooking preparation makes a cheap boxed macaroni and cheese taste better and creamier and also healthier for you since there's more milk and cheese and less margarine/butter. And to top it all off, it's almost as fast as the regular way, it's just more of a technique than an actual recipe change. No more runny cheesy orange watery sauce! I made this up myself when I got sick of spending more money for the "better" macaroni and cheese for the kids, you know the kind with the "gooey" packet of cheese sauce.
Top Review by Susie D
I almost always have a blue box in the pantry, but rarely use them. I saw your recipe so had to try it. I thought it was interesting to prepare the sauce like gravy. Made for Spring '09 Pick A Chef.
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the macaroni in boiling water until it's as tender as you'd like it.
- Drain the macaroni in a colander, set aside.
- In the same pan over medium heat, melt the 1/8 cup margarine, then add the cheese powder. Stir until smooth with a wire whisk.
- Add the 3/4 cup of milk, a little bit at a time, mixing it with the wire whisk, like you were making gravy, stirring constantly over medium heat. As it thickens up, add some more milk until all the milk is added. Bring the mixture up to the point of boiling so that it's thick. Then add the cheese and whisk again until smooth and melted.
- Now remove from heat and add the drained macaroni. You're ready to serve and your macaroni will be creamy instead of that yellow runny stuff around your noodles.