Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
Exactly what it says. I have a think about old cookbooks. One of the ones took her favorite recipes, clipped them and pasted them into a small notebook that she made and bound with ribbons. This was in there.
- 3 cups dry bread or 3 cups toasted bread cubes
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons melted shortening
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sage or 1⁄8 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 8 frankfurters
- 8 slices thick bacon
- Mix the bread, onion, celery and shortening.
- Moisten with the milk.
- Add the seasoning and mix thoroly [note this was a BH&G typo].
- Split the frankfurters lengthwise on one side only, and fill the cavity with the stuffing.
- Wrap a slice of bacon around each frankfurter.
- Fasten the bacon with woodpins.
- If there is dressing left over, fashion into balls.
- Place them in a baking pan and bake at 400°F for 20 minutes or until the bacon is crisp.
- Mrs. F. H. Peterson of Colorado submitted this to be published back in 1935.