Recipe by Sherrybeth
Okay okay...my mom is on my tailfeathers about the amount of desserts I keep baking and that I need to make some that are a little bit "healthier" for us....SOOOOOO, mom, this one is for you! It is a little bit more trouble than I'm used to, but I guess she's worth it!!!
- 1 1⁄3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, washed and dried
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 9 x 13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Stir together 1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour, baking powder, soda & salt; set aside.
- With mixer beat together brown sugar, butter, oil, egg & vanilla until smooth, making sure no lumps of brown sugar remain.
- Add the dry ingredients & stir until well- blended; the mixture will be firm.
- Reserve 1/2 cup (packed) for topping.
- Place remaining dough in pan & cover with a piece of plastic wrap & use it to press dough into the bottom of prepared pan. Remove plastic wrap and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until puffed & golden.
- Using fingertips, gradually mix remaining 3 tablespoons flour into reserved 1/2 cup of topping until it gets crumbly.
- Set aside.
- Combine sugar, all-purpose flour & zest; set aside.
- Combine blueberries & lemon juice in saucepan.
- Cook, stirring over medium heat until berries begin to exude juice.
- Add sugar mixture and stir until the filling reaches a simmer and thickens.
- With a wooden spoon, push down the higher outside edges of the baked crust.
- Pour hot filling over baked crust and spread all the way to the sides of the dish. Spinkle with topping.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until topping is golden.
- Transfer to a rack & let cool, covered with a kitchen towel to soften crumbs slightly.
- Cut into 24 bars.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar & serve.