This was adapted from the Soft Molasses Cookie recipe, #63981...I fell in love with that cookie, along with the rest of recipezaar...and since I was eating these weekly I felt like I needed to make them a bit more healthy. The result was AWESOME - The cookie now stays a little puffier yet still chewy. The wheat flour is a nice addition I used 1/2 regular whole wheat flour and 1/2 pastry whole wheat flour - actually giving it more taste...If anyone can figure out how to cut down the butter - let me know!! Hope you like!
- 3⁄4 cup butter, soft
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour (adding a bit more if needed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or more to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In small bowl combine flour, salt, baking soda, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ginger, allspice and nutmeg, set aside.
- In another small bowl combine 2 Tablespoons white sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon, set aside.
- In large bowl, cream brown sugar and butter, stir in egg whites and molasses.
- Fold in flour mixture, adding more flour if necessary to reach a scoopable consistency.
- Drop onto cookie sheet using small cookie scoop, or by rolled & rounded tablespoons onto lightly greased cookie sheet or one that is lined with a Silpat.
- Sprinkle lightly with reserved cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Bake 8-10 minutes.