Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A yummy, lighter cake from "The Cake Mix Doctor" By Ann Byrn.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix with pudding
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly mist a 12 cup Bundt pan with vegetable oil spray.
- Place cake mix, buttermilk, applesauce, egg whites, and flour in mixing bowl. Blend with mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Stop machine and scrape down sides of bowl. Increase speed to medium, beat 2 minutes more, scraping down sides again if needed. Pour batter into prepared pan. Place pan in oven.
- Bake cake until it is golden brown and springs back when lightly pressed with your finger, 35-40 minutes. Remove pan from oven and place on wire rack to cool for 20 minutes.
- Run a long, sharp knife around the edge of the cake and invert it onto a serving platter. Poke holes in top and sides of cake with a wooden skewer or toothpick. Brush the cake generously all over with the condensed milk. Sprinkle with the toasted almonds. Lightly cover cake with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, slice and serve with fruit.