Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I've been on a berry kick lately and found this recipe in my mom's recipe box. I tried them and was really pleased. They are lower fat and lower sugar than my previous recipe.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 1⁄2 cups blackberries
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 3 eggs (or egg substitute equal to 3 eggs)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ (optional)
- Mix oats, baking powder and flour together in a medium bowl.
- Slowly mix liquid ingredients in with the flour mixture.
- Add blackberries, raisins, nuts and wheat germ; stirring well with a spoon to prevent destruction of the berries.
- Spray muffin tins with non-stick spray or line with cupcake liners.
- poon mixture into muffin tins and bake 30 minutes at 400 degrees.
5 for flavor, 3 for directions. I thought the baking time seemed long, and I'm glad I trusted my instinct. I baked for 20 minutes, and the muffins were slightly overdone....will try 15-18 minutes nexxt time. These made 15 muffins for me. That said, the flavor of these is really great and I love that there's no white flour in these, so they are a definite repeat for me. Thanks for posting!
I liked the flavor but, I have a bit of a sweet tooth. If I were to make this recipe again, I'd add some sugar (maybe a half cup) to the list of WET ingredients and a pinch of salt to the DRY ingredients. "The Wallaces" commented earlier correctly that the temperature is WRONG in the directions! I'd bake at 380 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes and halfway through the cooking make sure to rotate the pans to promote even cooking. I substituted plain all purpose flour for the wheat flour and I omitted the wheat germ as well. This recipe made 15 muffins for me. I would try the recipe again but next time with the wheat flour and also sugar. (I can't ignore that sweet tooth!)